1 Information we collect from you
- Your name, email address and other personal details if you order a VPS handbook or anything else from us, or email us for information or other services
- Your name and postal address if you provide these to us: for example, at a VPS workshop, or in a letter
- Your name and email address via email or the online subscription form, if you subscribe to the VPS mailing database
2 What we do with your information
- Information stored in the VPS mailing database is used to contact you, or sometimes to improve the services which we offer.
- Information stored in our email system is used to contact you, provide services or fulfil orders.
3 How we store your information
All the information you provide to the VPS is stored securely. Subscriptions to the VPS mailing list are stored in an encrypted database, whilst emails sent to the VPS are held securely on separate servers. If you subscribe to the VPS mailing list via the subscription page on our website, your details are encrypted as they pass from your computer to our servers and are as secure as we can make them.
However - please note that if you email the VPS using your own computer's email software, or using an online webmail service, we cannot guarantee the security of your personal information until it reaches our servers as we have no control over the programs you use. If you are concerned about the security of your personal information when sending us an email, you should consider using an email or webmail program which allows you to send your emails encrypted. Mozilla Thunderbird, Microsoft Outlook and Yahoo! at present all have this facility. For more information on using encryption with email, please see
4 Sharing your information
The VPS will never share any of the information you have provided to us with other organisations for marketing, market research or other commercial purposes not strictly connected with your communication with us.
Sometimes we may have to share your information with other organisations in order to provide services or fulfil orders which you have placed. When we need to share your information with other organisations, we never share any more than is strictly necessary to comply with your request, and we will always obtain your consent beforehand.
We may also share your information with other organisations if we are required to do so by law, or in connection with any legal proceedings.
5 Right of access to your information
Under the 1998 Data Protection Act, you have the right to ask the VPS to remove your information from our database. You also have the right to see any personal information we may hold on you, and you may ask for any inaccurate information to be corrected or updated.